Hedgehogs are exotic animals available in every state, excluding California, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, and Georgia.
When it comes to purchasing hedgehogs, the most common place people buy hedgehogs is from pet stores. However, purchasing a hedgehog from a pet store can be a major mistake because of the lack of socialization that they give their hoglets.
The best place to purchase your hoglet from is a small-scale USDA-certified breeder. Small-scale breeders take time daily to socialize your hoglet, so they accept human socialization as adults. A social hedgehog will be more accepting of your interactions and generally happier overall!
Different Ways Of Getting Your Hands On A Hedgehog
Table of Contents
- 1 Different Ways Of Getting Your Hands On A Hedgehog
- 2 The Importance of a USDA License
- 3 Is Buying Hedgehogs Online a Good Idea?
- 4 A Comprehensive List Of Breeders In The US, Canada, UK, and Australia
- 4.1 Alabama
- 4.2 Alaska
- 4.3 Arizona
- 4.4 Arkansas
- 4.5 California
- 4.6 Colorado
- 4.7 Connecticut
- 4.8 Delaware
- 4.9 Florida
- 4.10 Georgia
- 4.11 Hawaii
- 4.12 Idaho
- 4.13 Illinois
- 4.14 Indiana
- 4.15 Iowa
- 4.16 Kansas
- 4.17 Kentucky
- 4.18 Louisiana
- 4.19 Maine
- 4.20 Maryland
- 4.21 Massachusetts
- 4.22 Michigan
- 4.23 Minnesota
- 4.24 Mississippi
- 4.25 Missouri
- 4.26 Montana
- 4.27 Nebraska
- 4.28 Nevada
- 4.29 New Hampshire
- 4.30 New Jersey
- 4.31 New Mexico
- 4.32 New York
- 4.33 North Carolina
- 4.34 North Dakota
- 4.35 Ohio
- 4.36 Oklahoma
- 4.37 Oregon
- 4.38 Pennsylvania
- 4.39 Rhode Island
- 4.40 South Carolina
- 4.41 South Dakota
- 4.42 Tennessee
- 4.43 Texas
- 4.44 Utah
- 4.45 Vermont
- 4.46 Virginia
- 4.47 Washington
- 4.48 Washington DC
- 4.49 West Virginia
- 4.50 Wisconsin
- 4.51 Wyoming
- 4.52 Canada
- 4.53 UK
- 4.54 Australia
- 5 Author
Adopting or purchasing are the two most common ways to get your hands on a hedgehog. Most hedgehog owners consider hedgehog breeders to be the most reliable source for adopting hedgehogs.
In some states like California and Georgia, hedgehogs are considered illegal. Before purchasing a hedgehog, investigate the legality of owning one in your state. The repercussions for harboring an exotic pet can be as small as a fine or as large as imprisonment.
The consequences for owning exotic pets vary from state to state. Avoid owning exotic pets in illegal states to face legal consequences.
Pet Stores and Retailers
The most common place people get their hedgehogs from are retailers like Petco or Pet Smart. Pet stores are not the most reliable places to purchase hedgehogs because these stores do not provide hedgehogs with proper care.
Hedgehogs do not require excessive socialization. However, to become a friendly pet, they require daily stimulation from their owner. If pet store owners deprive hedgies of socialization, they may eventually become aggressive or resentful toward humans.
Pet stores often fail at providing comfortable environments for hedgies which can stress these tiny mammals out. These special environments include quiet living quarters and darkness during the day. Retail pet stores do not provide hedgie’s this ideal environment which makes them agitated.
USDA-Certified Hedgehog Breeders
A breeder with a USDA license is guaranteed to provide hedgehogs with adequate breeding facilities. Exotic animal breeders produce hedgehogs humanely. Unlike retailers, USDA licenses require breeders to provide a healthy and social environment for your hedgehog.
To obtain a USDA license, a breeder must undergo inspection. The requirements are strict, and if they do not pass, they are at risk of being reported to the police for animal neglect. While the USDA requirements might seem strict, they get enforced for the safety of the animals.
Adopting hedgehogs is the most humane way to bring this spiky mammal into your household. Adoption is usually the transportation of a hedgehog from one home to another. In some cases, adoptions can be risky if their previous owner is abusive or irresponsible. When adopting your hedgie, be patient.
Animal Fares and Shows
Some animal shows feature exotic animals for sale for low prices. Most of the animals at these shows are malnourished and treated inhumanely. Even at the show itself, sellers mistreat the exotic animals at the flea markets, and animal shows are mistreated.
The Importance of a USDA License
USDA licensing ensures that your breeder provided your hedgie with a stable environment when they were raising them. Inspectors are the only ones who can issue USDA licenses to a breeder. Breeders will only receive their license if they meet condition requirements.
There are three kinds of USDA licenses: A, B, and C. When purchasing a hedgehog from a breeder, guarantee they have a Class A license. Breeders with a Class A license are allowed to breed exotic animals and sell them as pets.
Is Buying Hedgehogs Online a Good Idea?
Buying hedgehogs online is never a good idea. The transportation process is inhumane because of the excessive movement and loud noise.
Far transportations are especially stressful to your hedgie. Purchase your hedgie from a local breeder, and this helps avoid this traumatizing experience.
Several other reasons make buying hedgehogs online a bad idea. Online vendors are not always reliable suppliers. They may list false USDA licenses online and lie about the conditions of their hedgehog’s cages.
A Comprehensive List Of Breeders In The US, Canada, UK, and Australia
There are reliable USDA-certified breeders almost everywhere. Finding a breeder in your area who is USA-licensed is important when adopting a healthy hedgie.
- Tranquill Hedgies provides a wonderful selection of hedgehogs that are currently available. They also allow people to purchase pre-set-up cages. These spacious cages have everything inside to get your hedgehog started, including resources and hideaways. If you are uninterested in the current selection, you may contact Tranquill Hedgies to join a waiting list.
- Hedge of Alaska is a small-town breeder in Fairbanks, Alaska. This breeder is the only USDA-licensed breeder in Alaska. They are also one of the top information providers on hedgehogs in Alaska and on the internet in general. Hedge of Alaska provides many special tips on hedgehogs, including how to care for hedgehogs. The caring guides and care kits are what complete the hedgehog adoptions from Alaska’s Hedge of Alaska.
- AZ Hedgies is a reliable Phoenix, Arizona African Pygmy breeder. The goal of AZ Hedgies is to raise the healthiest hedgehogs possible. The hedgehogs bred at AZ hedgies are healthy, social, and loving. They offer a money-back guarantee (although it is unlikely you will be unhappy with these loving hedgies!).
- Ashley’s Animals from Tucson, Arizona.
- Pokey Moms is a hoglet breeder from Flippin, Arkansas, who raises Pygmy hedgehogs. There is a wide range of color variations when it comes to the hedgehogs available at Pokey Moms. Pokey Moms sells hedgehogs as babies and adults with the main goal of raising happy and healthy hedgehogs.
- Arkansas Exotics, located in Arkansas.
It is illegal to own a hedgehog in California.
- Quillster’s Hedgehogs is a small hedgehog breeder located in southwest Colorado. This USDA-licensed breeder provides owners with information on newborn babies and upcoming litters. Interested pet parents can come to Quillster’s for visitation sessions to form bonds.
- Parker Exotic Pets, located in Parker, Colorado
- Hafta Have Hedgehogs, located in Frederick, Colorado
- Prickly Paws Hedgehogs located in Rush, Colorado.
- Halphine Hedgehogs of Connecticut is a family-owned African Pygmy Hedgehog breeder located in Windham, Connecticut. This USDA-licensed breeder provides photos online of available hedgehogs and reservations for upcoming hoglets. They also give starter sets to new owners, including cages and food.
- Connecticut Hedgehogs located in Canton, Connecticut.
- Southern Connecticut Hedgehogs (SECT) located in Lyme, Connecticut.
- Hog Heaven Hedgehogs is the best place to buy hedgehogs in Delaware. The hedgehogs at Hog Heaven are colorful and friendly. Each hedgehog is given a healthy diet and plenty of cuddle time each day by their caretakers. Hog Heaven sells wholesale supplies so you can stay stocked up on items.
- Hurricane Hedgehogs is a Florida-founded breeder that has been guaranteed top-quality since 2004. The African Pygmy Hedgehogs born at Hurricane Hedgehogs are loving, social, and raised humanely.
It is illegal to own a hedgehog in Georgia.
It is illegal to own a hedgehog in Hawaii.
- Idaho Humane Society in Boise, Idaho
- Morning Star Hedgehogs is a small hedgehog adoption service that helps pair prospective hedgie parents with their future hedgehogs! Morning Star knows how difficult it can be to take care of hedgies. That is why in addition to adopting out hedgehogs, Morning Star also offers additional services to make life easier for new owners. These additional services include nail trimmings, baths, and boarding services.
- CC’s Exotic Pets located in Noblesville, Indiana, sells hedgehogs for an affordable rate. After being socialized each day as hoglets, these hedgies are the most playful and sweet hedgehogs you can ever imagine!
- Northern Indiana Hedgehogs & Exotics located in Middlebury, Indiana
- Hedgehog Hills in Ossian, Iowa
- Paws-n-Claws, located in Abilene, Kansas.
- PogStar Hedgehogs family breeder located in SouthCentral, Kansas
- Happy-Heart Hedgies pet adoption center, located in Kentucky
- Sugar and Spice Hedgies, located in Bowling Green, Kentucky
- Kelly’s Quills, located in Slidell, Louisiana
- Achilles’ Quill Hedgehogs in Dry Prong, Louisiana
There are currently no breeders listed presently in Maine.
- Terrapin Hedgehogs, located in Harford County, Maryland
- Stellar Hedgies, located in Pasadena, Maryland
- Boston Hedgehogs, located in Burlington, Massachusetts
- Cape Cod Hedgehogs, located in Marson Mills, Massachusetts
- Even Keel Exotics, located in Temperance, Michigan
- Sweet Quills Hedgehogs of Michigan, located in Twin Lake, Michigan
- Pins and Needles Hedgehogs, located in Ada, Michigan
- Ostego Exotic Pets is your one-stop-shop for everything hedgehog-related. From adoption to bedding, Ostego has it all!
- Happy Hedgehogs, located in Foley, Minnesota.
There are currently no hedgehog breeders listed in Mississippi.
- Laurel’s Zoo, located in St. Peters, Missouri
- KyTy Critters, located in Missouri
- True North Hedgehogs and Exotics located in Missouri
- Critter Crazy Hedgehogs, located in Missoula, Montana
- Exotic Pets, located in Billings, Montana
- Holly Exotics Farm, located in Missoula, Montana
- Humane Society of Northwest Montana, located in Kalispell, Montana
- Located in Fremont, Nebraska, Hands Hedgehogs is the longest USDA-licensed breeder in Nebraska. They produce an array of beautiful hedgehogs and are open to accepting surrendered pets too.
- Reno Hedgehogs is a breeder located in Reno, Nevada. They always list pictures of available hedgies and information on the next litter’s due date. Reno Hedgehogs lets people make deposits to reserve a hedgehog from upcoming litters.
- Feathers and Spikes dba FASHogs in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Pet Kingdom in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Nevada Humane Society located in Reno, Nevada
- Harmor Hollow Hedgehogs is a small rescue and breeder which has been open since 2003. You can find this little rescue located in central New England in Pelham. Adopting a hedgehog through Harmor Hollow is a three-step process, starting with a questionnaire and ending with reserving your hedgie for pick-up! Check out their social media to watch Chippoke the traveling hedgehog, go on various adventures.
- Granite State Hedgehogs located in Pelham, New Hampshire
A special permit may be required to own a hedgehog in New Jersey.
- Hog Wild Hedgehogs is a hedgehog breeder from New Jersey. Hog Wild is known for breeding social hedgehogs, some of which have become parts of major museums. As the only USDA-licensed breeder in New Jersey, Hog Wild Hedgehogs takes a special place in the community.
- NJ Exotic Pets in Londi, New Jersey
- Petland Albuquerque in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Clark’s Pet Emporium in Albuquerque, New Mexico
There are several restrictions on hedgehogs in New York, so you may be required to get a special permit to own a hedgehog in New York. The restrictions make possessing hedgehogs difficult for breeders, sellers, and owners.
- Hogheaven Hedgehogs in Niagra Falls, New York
- Dave’s Domestic Hedgehogs, located in Orange County, North Carolina
Providing beautiful healthy baby hedgehogs to North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
- Carolina Quillery, located in Elizabeth City, North Carolina
- Cove Exotic Pets, located in North Carolina
- Penny’s Prickly Pigs, located in Durham, North Carolina, or Asheville, North Carolina
There are currently no active North Dakota hedgehog breeders.
- Prickly Pet hedgehog breeder located in Andover, Ohio
- Dee Kay’s Suggies N Hedgehogs (DKS), located in Scottown, Ohio
- Gunner’s Quills, located in Owasso, Oklahoma
- Atlantis Hedgehogs located in Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Rose City Hedgehogs is an Oregon hedgehog breeder that produces a large variety of colorful African Pygmy hedgehogs. They offer many recommendations on hedgehog care for beginners, including articles and videos. Unlike many pet stores and mass breeders, this small-town Oregon breeder cares about the livelihood of its hoglets.
It is illegal to own a hedgehog in Pennsylvania.
- The Alternative Hedgehog truly is “Where Best Friends are born.” This ethical breeder is a small, federally licensed breeder passionate about raising family, not pets. The Alternative Hedgehog raises every hedgehog humanely and practices careful breeding procedures.
- Cuddle Babies, located in Summerville, South Carolina
- HedgeQuarters hedgehog breeder located in Yankton, South Dakota
- Mini-Critters breeder located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Critter Mart & More pet supply store located in Watertown, South Dakota.
- Sioux Falls Humane Society adoption shelter located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- The Hedgie Herd hedgehog adoption center in Memphis, Tennessee
- Animal City pet store in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- Quillow Hedgehogs located in McKinney, Texas. Quillow Hedgehogs raises well-mannered hedgehogs known for their excellent health and appearances. The caretakers at Quillow take the time each day to cuddle, socialize, and spend time with your future family member, so they grow accustomed to human touch.
- Texas Hedgehogs and Exotics in Iowa Park, Texas
- Janda Exotics Animal Ranch located in Kingsbury, Texas
- Zookeeper Exotics adoption center located in Austin, Texas
- Potenza Exotics hedgehog breeder located in Arlington, Texas
- Prickle Farms Hedgehogs in South Jordan, Utah
- Prickly Potato Hedgehogs, located in Northeastern, Vermont is a pedigree-tracking hedgehog breeder. Prickly Potato has been open since 2010, recognized as a reliable and trusted breeder ever since.
- Penny’s Prickly Pigs located in Charlottesville. Penny’s is a local hedgehog breeder and adoption center that has been breeding hedgehogs since 2008. Every hedgehog at Penny’s gets proper socialization, so they are as loving as possible!
- Briar Patch Hedgehogs is an esteemed hedgehog breeder located in Washington. This breeder is a humane breeder who raises hedgehogs as if they are family members of their own. The familial bond these breeders share with their hedgies creates enhanced social behaviors. Briar Patch guarantees daily handling of their hoglets by caretakers. Being handled daily ensures that they will be social and loving to their human companions.
- Riddles Hedgehogs is a hedgehog breeder from Washington, DC. The African Pygmy Hedgehogs from Riddles are fed healthy diets, treated humanely, and given plenty of love each day! Riddles Hedgehogs lists information regarding each hedgehog’s appearance, size, and even temperament under their adoption information online.
- Heartfelt Hedgehogs, located in Ashby, West Virginia, is a hedgehog breeder who strives for quality, not quantity. In addition to being a breeder, Heartfelt also acts as a rescue shelter to surrendered or abandoned hedgehogs. This rescue center rarely has rescues available. However, the program gives people the opportunity to surrender their hedgie if they cannot care for them!
Owning and breeding hedgehogs in Wisconsin require special permits. There are only a few hedgehog breeders in Wisconsin.
- Hedgehog Cove is a family-owned exotic pet breeder. Unfortunately, they do not have a website where you can view available hedgies. Interested customers can visit this pet store in person at their Eleva, Wisconsin location. You may also call ahead and inquire about available hoglets.
- Prairieland Hedgehogs pet adoption located in Arena, Wisconsin
- Peeps n Paws, located in Racine, Wisconsin
- Hedgehogs of the Hills in Homa Hills, Wyoming is a local hedgehog breeder with over five years of breeding experience. This small-scale breeder is passionate about breeding, with USDA licensure and hedgehogs with guaranteed healthy lineage. Hedgehogs of the Hills post pictures on their Facebook page avidly of their babies for hedgehog lovers and interested customers.
- Happy Hedgehogs Ontario is a delightful, USDA-licensed hedgehog breeder from Ontario, Canada. This small adopting center has made the adoption process as easy as possible since 2016, with a large selection of colorful and friendly hedgehogs. Because of high demands, Happy Hedgehogs does not allow for waiting lists. Applications are taken during the adoption process after babies are born.
- Simply Exotic Hedgehogs is a responsible breeder with a passion for safe breeding practices. At Simply Exotic, they abide by a strict code of ethics. Their strict code of ethics guarantees that all hedgehogs purchased through Simply Exotic are up to the highest standard.
Hedgehogs are illegal in Australia. They are considered an invasive species, and importing them into the country is considered illegal. Introducing any exotic animal into a new environment can cause a severe backfire, disrupting the ecosystem forever.